Tuesday, March 24, 2009

We Have...

...visited with Yuri and Helen. They are absolutely precious and we have decided that this referral was "the ONE" we have been waiting for!!!! Can you hear me squeeling?!

The day started out very dreary and rainy. A bad omen, right? We went to the SDA at 11 to receive our referral papers and ended up waiting there until 12:30 before we had everything in hand. The first paper was signed but not stamped. The second paper was finally stamped but had Helen's birthday incorrectly marked on it. Third time is a charm. They finally had the paper fixed correctly and in hand so off we went to "Ibahkiv" (russian spelling).

Ibahkiv is a very small town about an hour from Kiev. The inspector and director were so obliging and helpful. It really is amazing to see the love that these people have for the orphans here. The orphanage had a huge playground and the insides were painted bright colors. Kids were running freely everywhere, in a good, sort of trustworthy way. We were greeted when we walked in with big smiles and lots of "good afternoons". I was so ready to meet the kids.

We went into the director's office to begin going over the files. This meeting was unlike our other two. To start with, the director asked a couple of questions about us, where we lived, what state it, etc. Then she says that Yuri is not there! Panic comes over me. He was taken to the hospital! Yikes!!! I literally went pale. Turns out, he was suffering from some flu like symptoms and they send the kids there as a precaution. Our driver and the nurse went to get him.

While we were waiting for them to come back, the director started showing us pictures of the kids, all of them, from there last couple of parties, etc. Then she flashed up a picture of Helen. My heart melted. All those feelings of doubt and nervousness were flushed away! She won my heart right then. Next she showed us a picture of Yuri making the weirdest face. I laughed out loud. No doubt in my mind, Yuri was the one.

Not two seconds later Yuri walks in, bright eyed and bushy tailed. He walks up to our facilitator and said "Good morning, my name is Yuri. What's yours?" He made his way around the room and when he got to Jim Bob, he shook his hand so affirmatively. I am smiling ear to ear as I write this!! Next walked in Helen. Wow, she was as tall as any 8 year old that I've seen. She was a little more shy at first. The director explained to them what was going on and asked them how they would like to come to America. Both said "yes" in plain English!!

We began playing with the kids then. They loved the fruit snacks we brought and our digital cameras. Can I say how talented my "kids" are! Here is a picture taken by Yuri...



Here is one that Helen (Elena) took...



Just a little sneak peek!! I could go on all day.

These kids are really great and that nagging feeling telling us to wait, hold off, use our heads really paid off for us. After our 18 months of waiting to travel and 28 full days in Ukraine, we have seen what the Lord has meant for us. Slava Bogu!!!!

We are trying to proceed with our court date asap, because, after all, we have been here for a month and we are ready to go home. We are also having to travel back and forth right now from Kiev to Ibahkiv. We tried the two hotels there. One was "bad" according to Yulia (the facilitator) and the other was really cute and small with the neatest "wilderness" decor but only had one room available for tonight only. Aaaarrrggghhh!!! Having our luck, you can't ask for the day to go any better than it did.

Thank you for your faithful encouragement. Your prayers mean the world to us!

27 comments:

Doriana Gray said...

Oh yay! I´ve been checking all day to see how you went! Thanks so exciting and good luck getting to the finish line!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful news!!!! Congratulations!!! You must feel so relieved and thrilled!!! I COULD hear you squealing...and for a good reason!!! Can't wait to see more pictures!!!! Best Wishes!

Trisha, Duane, and Family said...

HOW WONDERFUL!!!!! We share with you in your happiness and joy. God is a great "maker" of dreams that come true. We know exactly how you feel. See our blog at: http://journey2rfamily.blogspot.com
We hope to travel this summer to adopt our tenth child and probably our last according to hubby. Enjoy your time as it comes and goes only too quickly. You guys did a "Great" job in a tough situation. Your children are adorable. Many blessings...Trish

junglemama said...

Congrats! They look precious!

kdliberty said...

God's mysterious ways. He knew this children were waiting for you. However, they were not quite paper ready. I am glad you finally found your chidren!!!

CONGRADUALATIONS!

Jarka said...

oh I´m so happy with you!
I knew you will find your kids...and now they are with you and you are a forever FAMILY!!! this is so exciting! I keep praying for you to be able to go home soon...God is good! :)

Stefanie and Bill said...

Well well, it doesn't get any better than this. So happy you are happy! God's speed!
Stefanie

Christy said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you guys. I'll be praying for your facilitator to find you an apartment close by. An hour commute each way will get expensive real quick.

... said...

I to am smiling ear to ear! I am so thrilled for the four of you, and I cannot wait for the next post. Congrats on a successful appointment and meeting.

love,
Lisa

adopting2fromUkraine said...

YYAAYYY! So happy for you!:)

June

Shawn and Megan Mitchell said...

Praising God for His faithfulness, many blessings to you all as you begin your journey as a family of four! :)

Hugs,

Megan

Shelby Thorsted said...

God is good!
I have been following your blog since discovering it on "smilingallthewayback." I am very excited for the two of you to have found your children. That is such a long time that you have been there in Ukraine. Jim Bob looks so happy in the picture with your boy. How excited to be getting siblings afterall. I look forward to following the next leg of your journey. God bless you for all you have been through.

darlene said...

we are so excited!! Couldn't see the kids much but the camera looks great. haha we are praying!!
Billy & Darlene

Tami said...

Wooooohohooo!!!!!!!! YEA! God IS good! ALL the time! :) Knowing what you have gone through and experienced what you have experienced, I KNOW what it is like to have finally found YOUR child...and to have the peace that comes with that!
Can't wait to hear all about them.
If you're interested, I can still put you in touch with Bogdan for the rooms for the very cheap rate on the outskirts of Kiev. I'm not sure if its the right side of Kiev, but its worth a shot! :)
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Michelle said...

praise the Lord!!!!!!!

i'm sooooo happy for you guys! and for the kids as well... how wonderful!

praying for a smooth, quick process for you and good bonding - your journey really is just now beginning. :-)

- michelle

Bergsjourney said...

I am so happy for you!!!! I hope everything else goes smoothly and you are able to get to court quickly.

Carey and Norman said...

I am overjoyed at this post. I have thought of you all day. I am so excited to hear that your visit with Yuri and Helen (Elena) went so well and that you are preceding forward with their adoption. Doesn't it feel good to follow your hearts and God's lead! He knew what HIS plan was all along. Maybe not your plan, but it is all so worth it to get here in the end!

I'm looking forward to talking more tomorrow and hearing more about these precious little ones of yours!!

Unknown said...

I'm so thrilled, I just knew it - this is wonderful news :) We continue to pray. I'm so very happy for you - all 4 of you!

Natalie said...

Wonderful news! Hope the rest of your time there flies by with nothing to stand in your way.

Natalie
www.adoptyaroslav.blogspot.com

Carrie said...

Hurray. We are so happy for you. The children appear to be beautiful. I sure hope your paperwok moves quickly (ours seems to be dragging). Perhaps you will catch up with us!

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Slava Bogu, indeed! Praise God for leading you to your children. And you mentioned 'third time's a charm' - kind of theme for you guys, I think :) Praying that you'll be able to get a court date quickly.

Jenn

Donna Gulley said...

Yeah! We are sharing in your joy and spreading your good news. Can't wait to see your kids, they sound wonderful. And they will be in my Sunday School class!
Have fun making your first memories together. Love, Dan & Donna

Kevin and Tammy said...

We have been out of town. Just checked the blog. CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew that God had a plan. We were just waiting for that plan to unfold. Praise God that these children are going to go home to a better place. Hopefully things will go quickly.
Tammy

Monika said...

Congratulations.....they are adorable!!!

We will be in Kiev on April 5th. How wonderful it would be to cross paths!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I will be praying that everything goes smooth from here on so you can hurry up and bring your kids home! We can't wait to meet them. Love, Carrie Simpson

K said...

Great news! I love the pictures the kids took and your story of meeting them. God bless and enjoy your visits and pray for a QUICK court date! :) Jen

Kevin and Pam said...

How exciting! I am so glad things are working out for you guys. I can't wait to see real pictures of the kids!