Thursday, April 16, 2009

On Day "6" Of Our Wait...

...and things are moving along pretty quietly. We visit with the kids when we can as they still are in school. We are planning on doing a little Easter thing at the orphanage this Sunday (Ukraine's Easter). We bought some of those awesome wooden eggs that we plan on hiding throughout the "meeting" room if we can make the kids understand what we are doing. "Why are these crazy Americans hiding these eggs?!" I can read Aizley's mind already :)

So, I thought I would share some of the photos taken on our many trips to Ivankiv. (Most of the pictures are from inside the car.) We start out our trip looking at this...



Trying to get through Kiev at rush hour. It's usually a 45 minute drive just to get through the city. Yikes!

Once out of the city, we pass see a lot of country side and "real life" Ukraine. We pass some of the neatest little houses and Churches. Take a look...










Two hours of driving so fast you don't want to open your eyes over the bumpiest, pot hole filled roads just to get to this...





...and it is soooooo worth it!!!!

8 comments:

Tami said...

ABSOLUTELY worth it! :) You're almost there...it won't be much longer now! :)

Natasha said...

Oooh - your cuties are sooo adorable!
Some of the country scenes are so amazing...and country people there live such different lives from people in cities.
I love seeing all the churches and old buildings where architecture was done so amazingly well. Just can't get enough of it!

Heidi and Felix said...

Yes, they ARE worth it!

I've been to Ukraine in the Spring (April) and the Winter (Nov-Dec) and I have to say that Spring is so lovely there. The land is so furtile that the grass and trees burst into the most radiant green that I have ever seen. It reminds me of growing up in the Louisiana delta where the land is rich, too. Seeing the houses and gardens remind me of my humble impoverished childhood. Although we were poor, I think fondly of those times and I feel a sort of kinship with the Ukrainian people as the eeke out their existence by working the land.

Felix

Kimberly said...

It is soooo worth it. Love you guys, and I don't really even know you! Ha ha... Blessings as your countdown continues!!! Woo hoo!

ArtworkByRuth said...

They will love it! We had to explain the concept to O as well but she joined her cousins in the hunt. She just had to be reminded to keep looking and not stop and inspect each one as she got them otherwise the others would get them before her...perhaps you could hide certain colors for each kid so they have to find their own an not just a mad dash to get them all?
I love the photos!

... said...

So close! When you get to the Consulate (Mike) you will feel so much closer, but when you land back in America, please don't kiss the customs agents (although you will want to)! I cried. It was emotional and I was gone less than a month...

Carey and Norman said...

Wow, the countryside is much prettier in Ukraine than what we saw near Vladivostok. Great photos of you guys with the kids. So glad your wait is winding down and you will soon be able to begin your journey home. Only 3 days left!!

Unknown said...

I love this post :)