Monday, July 6, 2009

Our 4th Weekend...

Wow! We had such a wonderful, long weekend at the Turner's. To start with on Friday, we celebrate "Happy Birthday, America". Our kids have really taken to the idea of birthdays, so explaining to them the idea of America having a birthday was easy. We started by doing our chores before heading to town to by ice for the evening. Colton, Aizley and I ended up eating outside as we visited "Bumpers", a generic version of Sonic. We ate our chicken on the patio and was given ballons by the carhops. We then went to buy buns and ice at the store for the BBQ and homemade icecream we were making that evening. After decorating cupcakes with red and blue icing and making rice krispie treats with star sprinkles in them, we completed a full nap time! Yeah for nap time. This helped the kids combat their fatigue and made for a fuss free late evening of fun. We then finished decorating a filling water ballons and then "on with the party".

Aizley decorating...


10 "kids" in a wading pool...


Nana and Pa Riley prepaing the burgers...


The water ballon war. What could be better than a huge tub full of water ballons! Moma's fingers were so pruney from filling all of them.

Titika Nevada is always a favorite at these events, can't you tell?

Enjoying fireworks...



Saturday, Papa took off work and we enjoyed swimming with cousing Treyton, Aunt Murphy and Uncle Jerry. No pics! Moma participated in this activity. It was a fun day full of Colton learning how to actually swim with his face in the water, Papa's leg in the air as Aizley would swim under him and flip his float over, and water wars. I have the blistered shoulders to prove it! We had hoped to attend the Fiddler's Jamboree, a tradition in Smithville. Due to the past 2 days of filled events, changes in schedules and LOTS of stimulation, we passed. The kids were just cranky. No big fits, no tantrums, just cranky and tired as were we. We did watch the broadcast on TV for a few minutes until the urge to watch "Simba" ie the Lion King couldn't be ignored.

Sunday, the irritable attitudes returned. The kids just wanted to be lazy and thanks to the rain, we were. There were brief interludes between showers were we did venture outside for some pics. Check these out.

Posin' on Pa's old dump truck...


Playin' around the pond...



Eventhough we are still feeling some of the effects from a very stimulating weekend, we enjoyed a wonderful holiday. We made many wonderful memories and laughed nonstop. Today, we are just chillin' and getting ready for swimming lessons which start tonight. Another change in scheduling. Sigh.

6 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

Looks like Colton and Aizley had a wonderful 4th! What a celebration. We will have to get more creative next year as you set the bar high with your decorating and American themed treats!!

Unknown said...

I love these pictures.. I don't know who was having more fun, the kids or you guys! :) :)

Kevin and Pam said...

I hear ya on being tired! I have been so tired I haven't even done my 4th of July weekend post. It makes me more tired just thinking about the weekend! Maybe tormorrw I will get the energy to post!

Natasha said...

You two are amazing!!! Look at your kids' faces - first of all, they're SO beautiful; second of all, they're SO happy! Looks like they're really enjoying their summer. We've been working on crankiness as well; I finally had to do charts for each one of them - they seem to really like those charts.
Natasha

kate said...

I was just thinking today that it would be great to have an ice cream maker here for when d2b comes home. Your post re-inforced that. Wonder if they make them here...

It sounds like a lovely "birthday" weekend!

Stefanie and Bill said...

I love seeing the joy on the kids faces! Everyone looks so happy!