We had a semi quiet week at home. Tuesday we visited the county fair. For $16 bucks a piece, the kids were able to ride anything and everything at the fair. Not bad, right! Aizley is my little dare devil. She shows no fear to anything. She tore through the big kid rides like a flash of lightening. Colton was slightly more reserved and ran through the "crazy house" to many times to count. That is until moma started riding with them. Yea, cousin Treyton told the kids that I rode the big rides with him last year so I was obligated to ride with the kids. I secretly enjoy it, though!

What a wonderful, memory-filled summer we have had so far. The kids are exceeding all expectations we have had and continue to surprise us daily with their knowledge and ability to "pick up" the language and customs. I have been noticing that the kids speak less and less in Ukrainian to one another. I want them to grasp english but I would love for them to maintain the native language. Just yesterday, Colton was clearing the table after dinner and he was saying something to Aizley in Ukrainian and threw in the word "table" in the middle of the sentence. They never even noticed the change. No longer do they refer to their "aunts" as "titika's". They have phrases like "nice to meet you" and "thank you" down and no longer have to be reminded to say so. I really can't express the changes that have taken place in these kiddos. They have started leading "thank you" prayers before we eat and they (Aizley especially) sings to all the songs while driving in the car. Sunday makes 3 full months we have been home and we can't wait to see what's next.
4 comments:
SO happy to hear your update and how well the children are doing! Seems you are focusing them on the right things...keep up the great tiresome work Mom and Dad! As far as school goes, the start may be a bit rough but you will be amazed at how tough the children are and how many quick gains they will make. Its not always easy to watch...I know! We don't start school until after Labor Day. We have another action packed month left! So happy for you all! Stefanie
I'm glad you are doing well. I always enjoy reading your posts. I was wondering when they would begin to lose their language. Around 4 months, our daughter lost most of hers. I hope that since they are older, they will remember some of it.
Glad you are enjoying summer as much as we are!
Wow, you guys start school early. Don't worry, you are like every mom who sends her children to school for the first time. Colton may enjoy his independence. I'm sure they will do great, especially if they respect authority. You have done such a great job with them, and they sound like they are well prepared to face their new friends, in their new clothes.
Mitchell has also lost his language, almost completely. Today John was trying to get him to count in Russian, but he would not (or could not).
well, I'm nervous too - I've been homeschooling but 3 of my 4 are going to school in August, including Mary off to kindergarten! what I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall for that!
the kids just look/sound great, as do you!
Post a Comment