Monday, May 17, 2010

It's Summer...

That's right. This week is the last four days of school for the kids. We decided not to enroll them in summer school this year. We think their English has progressed so much and their reading is just about where it should be, so with the assistants of their ESL teachers we decided to forgo summer school and just focus on reading stories and writing sentences at home. The kids are more than happy about the situation. I am too, really. We really just need to focus on comprehension. Does anyone know any good tools to help improve comprehension other than repetition?

Last Wednesday, Northside had their end of the year awards ceremony. I received a note from Aizley's teacher that it would be wise if I attended the ceremony. I'm glad I did. Aizley received an award as the most improved 3rd grade ESL student. She had also received a certificate a achievment award from her 3rd grade teacher. I am so proud of all her hard work. Between the clapping and yelling, I managed one decent picture.

Both kids will end the year with at least a 85 average in all their subjects! We all worked very hard over this year, the long nights and weekends and it paid off. Guys, we are so very proud of you both. Thank you for all your hard work and effort!!

Saturday, after a very hot soccer game, we decided to chill and spend the afternoon at Rock Island State Park. It's just down the road from our house and it's free! The kids love it. The rocks provide for natural climbing equipment and there are enough shallow sand bars and dripping rocks for the kids to get just wet enough to have fun but not to wet (unless mom says so) to get into trouble :) Plus, it's quite a climb to the bottom so they rest well at night!
The place is surrounded by beautiful views!

Enjoying one of the falls.


Posing...




Look at my little spidermonkey go!

As a result of the terrible flooding that hit 2 weeks ago, there is still a lot of clean up needing to be done. We saw many fallen trees that we had to climb over, a stop sign wrapped around a rock, a fireproof safe that had washed up onto a rock (make your own assumptions about that one) and several construction barrels strown around the park.

We had to leave early due to the thunderstorm that hit while we were at the bottom by the dam. Luckily, we made it to the top before the "light'neeee" got to close.

Sunday was a calm day of kickin' it indoors thanks in part to the wipeout Mr. Yuri took on his bike. He flipped head over heels and tried to catch himself with his hands. Poor little dude was so shook up he actually ripped the handle bar grips where he was hanging on so tight. Don't worry. We ended up with scratched knees and a bloody elbow but nothing that a kiss and an afternoon of watching Tom and Jerry while eating extra buttery popcorn couldn't cure.

4 comments:

Kevin and Pam said...

What a great place to hang out! I would be there all the time!

Carey and Norman said...

Looks like fun! I'm proud of Aizley and her award! We love Tom and Jerry at our house too!

Thanks again for lunch...I'm stuffed, but it was oh, so good!

Stefanie and Bill said...

Looks like a ton of fun. I love taking the boys to places where they can climb, run and wear themselves out! The kids look great I think by the end of the summer their hair will be much blonder! I cannot believe school is out already. We have til the end of June and after being in Ukraine, I am going to need the time during the day to spend with Nikolas, one on one!

junglemama said...

Congrats on all their hardwork! What a beautiful place to take your family!