Thursday, April 23, 2009

First Days...

...as a family of four are going pretty well. The kids sleep throughout the night but are still eating like animals. They seem to be attaching very well. We take turns "leaving", going to the store or outside so that both the kids have to "share" time with us. At night, we take turns laying down with the kids until they go to sleep. They also do chores without being asked. After lunch yesterday, I walked into the livingroom before I did the dishes. When I returned, Aizley had washed them and wiped down the counter! Such a sweetie!





Yesterday, the weather was pretty nice so I took the kids outside. Behind the apartment there is some playground equipment. The kids spent some energy playing outside.







We have also seen that Colton has a temper. He is a biter and pincher! I know this first hand. He is normally such a sweet, mild tempered kids. Must have woke up on the wrong side of the bed, being that he woke up before anyone else. The way he was screaming I'm sure the people next door think we were beating him! On top of that, his mouth started bleeding everywhere. His little teeth are so horrible. They bleed when we brush them, even when he eats a sandwich. This only made matters worse. I tried holding him until he settled down, hence the biting. Now he seems pacified. He is playing in the bathtub and has been for over an hour. (there is no water in there) Perhaps he just needed a little "Colton" time. Aaaahhhh, kids :) I'm sure he will have a better day tomorrow, I hope:)

Tomorrow we are doing passport photos and trying to get a head start on the visas. Thanks for the tips about taking photos before you actually have the passport to get "one up" on the visas.

Still pushing for a fligt out on Tuesday...

9 comments:

Michelle said...

how wonderful to hear & see how things are going... looks like you've got some pretty great kids in your family now!

amazing how God worked all this out - how if you hadn't gone through the 2 other referrals, these children who are now your son & daughter wouldn't have even been available for adoption. i'm SO thankful that He sustained you and kept you going through the process, even during the discouragement at the beginning. i know you've been there a very long time & you're not home yet, but i'd say you've got some pretty great "souvenirs" to remember your time in ukraine by! :-P

praying for the four of you as you all adjust & that you'll get home as soon as possible...

- michelle

jrkarlen said...

It is so awesome to see the kids and it's nice to hear they are assimilating so well! congratulations!

I'm not sure, but I think Daniel NEVER brushed his teeth until we got him. He had no idea what we were doing and to this day, he REALLY doesn't like it. Oh well - eventually he'll get it.

Here's hoping and praying that the passports and visas move along quickly!

junglemama said...

Congrats! This all sounds very normal--- our daughter was a very loud screamer/kicker. After four years-- she still is!-- Just kidding. ;) It will get better Cornethia!

Carrie said...

Wow. I have been offline for a few days. It looks like you are making great progress. I hope you get all of your paperwork, especially your updated homestudy! John was able to arrive at the embassy on Friday morning and make a Saturday flight, so if you can get everything in order, it's possible. Mitchell is also a SCREAMER. He NEVER cries, but screams when he doesn't get his way. I think the two are related. Once you get home, you'll get a routine and things will improve. You two have been there for SO long. I am sure you are so anxious to get home.

ArtworkByRuth said...

He might be in pain too with those teeth, try giving him some tylenol routinely if you have any. Can you get him to a local dentist before you go to fix anything? When we brought O to her first appointment the DDS couldn't believe she was functioning with her mouth so bad!

Kimbell and Mark said...

hey there - I'm in Kiev - at about same point in process as you. Have our tax ID but have been told main passport processing office is closed for inspection and not certain when it will reopen so have not been able to apply for passports - have you heard anything similar??

Natasha said...

Sounds like you guys are doing pretty awesome!!! :)
I think it might be one of those cultural things (biting) - all 10 siblings in my family love biting, some of us even now, when we're grown up (playfully now that we're adults, of course). :)
Teeth...yeah...unfortunately, that seems "normal" for adopted kids... Can you get him to rinse his mouth with warm salty water at least once a day? I heard that should help. Also, putting some baking soda for about 30 seconds and then rinsing it out a few times a day will help (speaking from experience).
Godspeed for the rest of your journey! You're almost there! Just be ready to be sleep deprived for a while when you get home. :)
Natasha

Anonymous said...

Congrats you guys. Dasha is always hungry now two. It seems like every ten minutes she says, "Daddy, I hungry." Now it's a game but after being in a place where she ate three squares a day when they told her to, this is like paradise.

I've heard the tooth problem is very common with these kids. Dasha's aren't that bad but she has a dentist appt. next week. So we'll see. Good luck with the rest of the process.

David ...

Carey and Norman said...

Little stinkers. Thought I had responded to this, but I guess we were talking via e-mail (and I didn't leave a comment). Sounds like you've pushed through and am excited you are finding new ways to parent. Each child is different :o)

I do love how children who are adopted help clean. Our daughter still helps out so much around the house. What a blessing!

Thinking of you!