
Who would have ever thought that this city would shut down! No one is out and about. It reminds me of the quiet that surrounds the states on Christmas Day (for a few hours anyway). Our driver needed the day to spend with his family (as he should) so we weren't able to visit the kids today. We sent our love and told them we would be thinking of them today. We spent some extra time with them yesterday to hold us over ;)
We have been suffering from sinuses like crazy here. Bob was sick Thursday and Friday and I have gotten a killer tooth ache. I am doing my best to deal with the unbearable sharp pains, but may have to suck it up and visit a dentist here. Does anyone know of a dentist here in Kiev? If luck is on our side (and we are praying very, very hard that it is), we could possible be heading home next Saturday which would be miraculous. Hold on tooth!
Thanks for your encouragement so far. It is so uplifting reading all the comments and kind words.
Only one more day of the wait until "Gotcha" day!!
8 comments:
I'll pray you all can feel better ... our understanding is that they have good meds there and everything is "over the counter", you don't need a prescription for anything. So if you can get a translator to take you to a pharmacy you could get some help.
ALSO we were told the dental care in Kiev was good and cheap compared to here, even so much so that some chose to have their kids dental work done before coming home. Now we did not do that because I was not sure I believed them, but for a quick example, we DID get Mary's ears pierced before coming home because I wanted Kostya to be able to talk her through and to be able to tell us if she didn't want to. Everything he'd told us was accurate - it was like a hospital room, 100% sterile - MUCH more so than the places here in the mall, for heaven's sakes. Literally like a hospital room, done with great care, and crazy crazy cheap. So if the dentists are similar, you might get looked at if you're suffering? I wouldn't have thought it true but Kostya confirmed many Americans get their teeth worked on there...
praying you feel better. I empathize.
So sorry you all aren't feeling so well, but so excited that you're almost done! :)
There is a dentist in Kiev near TGI Fridays. They speak some English, and a lot of Americans go there. Our adopted son had a root canal there for $100 before we came home, and they did an excellent job. If you email me I can give you the phone # of some American missionaries in Kiev that can give you better directions. kariv90@comcast.net
There is a dentist near the US Embassy in Kiev. I don't think they were necessarily cheap, but they do speak very good English. Porcelain dental, or something like that. My facilitator knows where it is. His email is adoptionkiev@gmail.com. His name is Kostantin.
Natalie
www.adoptyaroslav.blogspot.com
ALmost there guys just got to hang on for a little while more. That "gotcha" day is a memorable one. Oh and by the way Jim Bob, love the hair! I'm jealous since I'm bald. We head to Kiev today and could be outa here on WEdnesday if the embassy gets everything done in one day. Praying for you guys in the last leg of your journey. God bless!
David ...
Conethia - I wouldn't wait until you could get to America to get your tooth looked at; the pain is not worth it.
To Michelle's comments - a lot of Russian/Ukrainian immigrants will go to Ukraine/Russia to get their dental work done every so often. They get it done for cheap and I've been told they do a great job there, not like in the soviet days (you wouldn't have wanted to go there then).
Looks like you guys are having fun. I bet today (Monday) is THE day - CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Hope everything else goes fast for you! Happy Easter!
Natasha
Hi Guys, Sorry to hear of your health issues. It's so hard when you are not close to the comforts of home! I agree with what others are saying...around Kiev it should be very easy to find an excellent dentist. Our Nanny is going back home (Ukraine) this summer to have major dental work done because it is so much cheaper.
Hang in there..you are so close. Get ready the exit from the orphanage, obtaining BC and Passports, Medical and Embassy visits are a whirlwind! Praying for the "back end" to go much faster than the "front end" for you guys!
xx Stefanie
Sorry to hear about your tooth. I hope you are feeling better. I can imagine that you are ready to come home and would prefer to see a dentist here as you will be more comfortable.
Thinking of you and praying for you!
Post a Comment