Can you believe it? We have been home for three months now (as of Sunday). I can't even relate to how my life was without the kids. We pray nightly to Thank God for bringing us together. The kids can now speak in broken sentences and most everyone can understand what they are trying to say. Colton has went up almost 3 sizes since arriving home. Aizley is still in the same size although she has grown "up" almost another inch. Both kids are healthy and happy. They have actually decided to send some of their friends in Ukraine some pictures and presents for Christmas. They take after me on "planning ahead". Have I mentioned that I spoke with Santa and he has some great ideas already as to what to bring the kids, as long as they continuing working hard! They have been saving all their money and Colton wants to buy "a lotta candy" to send back to the orphanage. Nana has gotten in the spirit as well and has been collecting shoes and clothes to send back there, too. I was so motivated by how thoughtful these kids can be. Of course I am not going to make them us their own money to buy the gifts. Thank goodness for the dollar tree!
To celebrate our 3 month mark and the many "firsts" we have faced, Papa took off work on Friday and we headed for the Nashville Zoo.

We had such a great time. The kids are great travelers. Over an hour drive without one potty break or an "I'm bored" being muttered. We saw so many things. The Meerkats were one of the favorites.

They also have an eye for ocean life.

They are going to love visiting the Tennessee Aquarium when we are planning an overnight during Fall Break.
What is Moma for if not to make us take embarrassing photos! Can't you hear them saying "moma!"



Not a bad family photo considering the 4 hours we spent in the July sun!
Monday, the kids started "real" school! They are doing great in class buy are having some trouble understanding the meaning of words. We are working on getting additional help in school, but again, backfires of small town life. Both of the kids teachers have been so obliging to help with a little one-on-one. Look at these "first day of school" smiles!


Lord, help this moma with the anxiety she is feeling. I think I am ten times more worried than the kids are. Nerve pill, anyone?
10 comments:
What a fun day at the Zoo! Hot but fun!
Colton and Aizley look so happy starting school. In a few years, those may be frowns.
I loved the antler pictures...too cute! The family photo was good too. We don't do enough of those.
I hear ya! I can't imagine how nervous I'll be when I send Eli off to school the first time. Although I have lots of activities planned for him in the fall, so it may not be as tramatic. Happy 3 months! It's getting better and better each day, isn't it?
Hang in there! I feel your pain. Daniel starts Kindergarten next week - yikes!! The kids are so cute and look happy. We enjoy reading about your adventures!
"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Phil. 4:4-7
Praying for you this morning, that the Lord would ease your anxiety and grant you His peace to reign over your heart and mind. Reading your blog this morning gave me a flashback to hearing the news of your departure from Ukraine (nearly 2 weeks before ours on the 16th of May). Look where God has brought us! HE is faithful... to provide then, now and forevermore. As my friend just emailed an update this morning from Kenya... the Kenyans say, "God is good, all the time - that is His nature." He is good and He is faithful... may you find Him even more so today and the days ahead to your precious family!
It's our kids who were the nervous ones this morning for their first day of middle school. We are just glad for the break...it has been a long 4 weeks home, but things are slowly getting better.
Your kiddos look so happy and healthy. I'm glad they're doing so well!
What a beautiful family you have. Sorry it's my first time checking your blog since we came home with Maxim in January. Blessings on your household and the journey ahead.
If they can't get official help, a responsible, helpful student sitting beside them is a BIG help. Just having permission (both of them, officially) to ask a friend/demonstrate what to do can solve a lot of problems. This works beautifully with my zero-English speakers. AND, if the teacher can give your kiddos the chance to help others (in math or in something they feel confident with) it will not only boost their self-esteem, but create a classroom environment where everybody helps everybody else. "Everyone is good at something. No one is good at everything." Being helpful is one of our classroom expectations. And it's just NICE.
Do you have native language dictionaries for them? I'm guessing that Aizley was reading when she was in Ukraine. My second graders quickly become very competent dictionary (real and online) users. It makes them feel better when they can be independent.
If their teachers want to e-mail me, I'm happy to help. Not an esl expert, but each year I have two native English speakers and about four-six students who don't know a single word. The rest are in between.
What great pictures!!!!
I hear you on the anxiety thing. I'm already having quite a bit of it and Maddie doesn't even start for another three weeks! :)
Hang in there, mom. They'll be fine. They're great kids, with a great support system. It will take awhile, but they'll come through with flying colors.
Now come over to my place and tell me the same thing! :)
Wow, school started early for you. Both kids look so happy. I just love reading your stories. I am so sorry you don't have more support for second languages in your school, but luckily you have teachers who are supportive. I'm sure they will learn so fast that it won't be an issue for very long.
I cannot believe it has been three months, anymore than it has been 10months home for us!
You will be amazed at how well your children adjust to school and their new routine! They both look so happy which is great to see!
Stefanie
Post a Comment