Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Moving Mountains In 4 Months...

Ivankiv Orphanage

Today marks the 4 month mark as a family of four for us! I often think back on the little sweet faces we first met in Ukraine, the nervous tantrums that errupted as the kids placed their entire trust and well being in the hands of two complete strangers from across the ocean. Can you even imagine the confusion they must have had about the unknown, about what their lives would be like with these people who want to be their Moma and Papa? Our outlook on life and personality about the unknown have changed for the better. These little angels were sent to help us and not the other way around. We did not "save" them from the unknown, they, in turn, rescued us, pulled us closer to one another and set our priorities straight. Despite our extremely difficult time in finding our babies, the many road blocks and uproars we faced were all part of the Plan set forth to unite our family. Thank you, dear Lord, for bringing us together, for the love we receive from our kids and the the look we see each night as they prepare for bed knowing that they will wake up, once again, in their own beds with their Moma and Papa waiting with open arms. Your blessings are numerous!! Thank You!!
Four Months Home...



The kids still amaze us. Their personalities shine brighter than ever. School work is becoming (a little) easier for them and the kids are still trying hard to do well in all their subjects. Each of the kids have made several close friends at school and are getting a lot of one-on-one from their teachers and assistants. We sometimes get to have a break and just play and with the weather in the 70's and 80's, we have been having a great time outside. The kids decided to set up a school on the front porch. Aizley loves being "teacher" and showing Colton all the many things she has learned like the parts of a plant. Notice any unusual students in the class?

And she sat there all afternoon!

Papa is finally becoming more "popular", for lack of a better word. The kids do not think that Papa can do certain "moma jobs" very well such as reading a bedtime story or cookin' dinner (I have to agree with that one, though :) The other night I purposely waited 'til bedtime to take my bath to see how the kids would react. Thankfully, when I sneaked out of the room I saw Aizley allowing Papa to read her a story. This is a huge step for her as she still has difficulty attaching fully to him. Success!!


Finally, I had to add this video. I have mentioned before that Colton loves to shake his fanny! This goes back to the personality referrence I made earlier. At no particular time, he will walk through the room and break it down in a dance. I have been unable to capture this illusive dance.... until now.

Last night, Colton had been joking with Papa about snapping his fingers with both hands (Papa is missing his two big fingers on his left hand). I knew it was just a matter of time before the "tail waggin'" would start. So, after dinner, Colton went outside with Papa to let the dogs out. Papa was trying to snap his fingers when I noticed Colton doing his fanny dance. I ran for the camera and caught this. (He doesn't know I am filming him at first)! (Sorry it's crooked)

9 comments:

Carey and Norman said...

How cute! Love the video! So glad that Aizley and Colton are doing so well in school and making friends.

I agree that we are the ones blessed by our children's adoption!

Kevin and Pam said...

The video is so cute. The way our daughter started attaching to her daddy was by him reading to her also. She wanted nothing to do with him until she was about 2 years old. One day she started throwing a book at him and saying "read", "read!" Ever since then, they have been best buds. Now my husband does all the night time duties of getting them to bed. :)

Unknown said...

I love your family :) the kids are just amazing... you are awesome parents!

she is just beautiful and your son, what a cutie pie! :)

Natasha said...

You guys have done such an amazing job with your little sweets!!! I'm glad you got them - they're thriving in your family! God is SO good; He was on YOUR side all that time, He knew who these kiddos' parents were all that time. I love looking back at all the struggles, just to figure out how God was at work - seeing what He does amazes me every day.
Love,
Natasha

PS: and doesn't time fly??? I can't believe we've been home for this long already, and how well they're speaking for being here for 4 short months! It's simply amazing!

Shelly and Carol said...

Your kids are beautiful! So nice to hear that things are going very positively, it helps us not bas as nervous about our process. Blesing to you!

Anonymous said...

They look MUCH MORE healthy and happy since those first pictures. Praise God for how He has blessed you!
Tharen

junglemama said...

Cornethia thanks so much for sharing. Your kids are doing wonderful!

The McEacherns said...

This post brought hope to me... I know I should be able to sneak in a bath by month four! :)

Blessings as you continue to grow as a family!

... said...

I am so glad you are doing so well! The kids look amazing!

www.payne-familyadventures.blogspot.com