Monday, October 19, 2009

"Shun-Shine"...

It's been a very quite week at the Turner's. We have been enjoying a lot of inside time as the temps have been in the 50's with lots of rain. In fact, Sunday was our first "shun-shine" day in a week. The weather has put a bit of a damper on our fall break plans, but never-the-less, we continue to come up with new ideas/ways to pass the time. The kids have really gotten into playing checkers and spend hours playing against Pa Riley. We have also been getting a head start on our math, mulitiplication tables and borrowing. Whew. We have been able to sneak in a couple of fun things during week one of our fall break.

Tuesday we went to the 'Boro and started our 6 month "check in" with our social worker. Mrs. Lisa saved us so much time while in Ukraine. We love her to death! The kids loved her Halloween decorations (more on that to come). Thanks Lisa!

Wednesday morning, Papa took the kids to Cumberland Caverns, the 2nd largest cave in North America if memory serves me right. They had a ball going through the tour, seeing the bats and "points" from the ceiling, and walking in the dark. I even got a tee shirt since I had to go to work and couldn't visit the cave. Thanks kids! Again, Papa was to embarrased to take my camera so I have to make do with cell phone photos. It's a little hard to see, but they are looking at stilagtights behind the rails.


The rest of the week was so chilly we spent the days indoors, rearranging rooms, cleaning and pulling out all of our winter clothes. Finally, Sunday was nice and we were able to get outside. After seeing Lisa's amazingly decorated, super scarry house, the kids just had to decorate ours. We started with scary rooms, each using table cloths and door mats to decorate their scary rooms. Then, on to the porch...


They couldn't believe the spider webs that I had bought at Big Lots. You simply pull and they become "really spider's". We spent most of the afternoon pulling these webs across the house.

I had also been promising we could "paper toliet" Aunt Murphy's yard (all in good fun, we see who can "get" who first!) but with the weather being so bad and so cold at night (last night it was in the 20's) we hadn't been able to get to her house. So, I was determined to not be out done..

The kids thought it was the neatest thing in the world to throw "paper toliet's" in the trees! They did pretty good damage with the 4 rolls I gave them. The end result...

We had a ball and I laughed so hard at their amusement from the spider webs and toliet paper and we haven't even "killed" pumpkins yet! (Carving pumpkins for those of you not familiar with the famous words of Linus on the "Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin" special)

Oh, and don't worry. We haven't given up on getting Aunt Murphy yet! ;)

4 comments:

Kevin and Pam said...

I like to take some of that Fall weather in exchange for some of our heat! 98 degrees over the weekend. I am ready for some fall weather.

Natasha said...

You're like the best/"funnest" mom ever!!!
It's been rainy here as well but we've been getting sunshine as well from time to time.

Carey and Norman said...

Cute pictures. Very brave of you to teach them how to TP a house (watch out)! I just love fall and am glad that Aizley and Colton do too!

K said...

So much fun! I am glad your social worker has been so helpful and has inspired so much decorating! :) Have fun, I can't wait to see what your kids dress up as for Halloween!