We have had the kids with us, in our "grips" (for lack of a better word) for a full year! All those little things adopters say like "I can't believe it's been a year!" and "It feels like forever", they are all true expressions. I can't remember feeling as full and rich in life as I do now. I remember feeling extremely nervous as we drove the almost 2 hour trip to pick the kids up that afternoon. I was worried I wouldn't be able to communicate with the kids, to understand their needs/wants or desires. I was anxious in what to expect from their behaviors. Would I be able to put them to bed that night comforted, the way they preferred? Would they be terrified of taking baths, of the foods we ate? Would they feel abandoned by the orphanage workers or feel a slight sigh of relief knowing we were with them? One thing that we had learned by that point was that in adoption, you can never "predict" a situation.
As we waited in the "red room" of the orphanage that evening for all the kids to get home from school, I remember talking with the caregivers about the foods the kids liked, their sleeping and eating schedules, their likes and dislikes, their friends. I remember finding out at that moment Aizley wore glasses. It wasn't a big deal. I'm blind as a bat and would be helpless without the miracle that is contacts! I knew she had astigmatism but never until that moment had I seen her in glasses. Before the kids came, we gave all the staff a big bottle of champagne and some chocolate covered cherries. They were overjoyed and opened the bottle right there. They then brought out a bag of clothes they had gathered to send with the kids. Here they had gathered things looking out for the benefit of our kids! Oh, how the director and staff really loved all the kids! Of course we had bought and brought several new things for our kids as we had heard stories of the kids having to leave everything behind. They even let us go through their lockers and pick out some little toys or trinkets of the kids to bring home. It really was a sobering moment. Such generosity yet knowing that all they had fit in half of a locker.

Then, the moment of truth. The kids ran in one by one. Aizley was late ( a characteristic she kept through the process ). Colton ran up to us and gave us a hug. Aizley said "what are you doing here?" When Bob said "we are taking you with us", she began jumping up and down. Colton got his "I'm excited, I can't believe it!" look ( something that still holds true today ) and they both ran to their beds and began changing their clothes. There was lots of hugs and kisses at the goodbye party. Some of the staffers who had the day off came to wish the kids the best life possible. Then I made everyone pose for pictures. My memory card decided it was full and I began scrambling through the pics erasing the ones of me and Bob at some of the sights around town just so I could get in every last photo of their friends, their family. Before getting into the car, Galina the director, told them both with tears in her eyes to "be good and mind your moma and papa. I love you both!" I was squalling but the kids ran to the taxi. I took one more picture as we pulled away. The kids stuck their heads in the back window and waved with huge smiles on their faces. And that was it.

This moring I woke them both with a "Happy Gotcha Day", a little embarrassing dance, and a "hurry up, pokies". We then headed out for breakfast at Hardees before taking Aizley to do the TCAP tests (state test that "evaluates the teacher's performance and will not hold any bearing on her passing"). This afternoon, we are having "spicy chicken" or chicken wings for dinner (the new favorite of the week) and we got both kids a sleeping bag for the upcoming camping trip we are taking them on. It's a surprise. I am such a fan of duel purpose gifts!

I don't know what else to say about these guys. Of course, our lives aren't always calm. The kids, like any other kids their age, are facing that dreaded "ATTITUDE"! It has hit Aizley pretty hard. However, the biggest issue conquered here is their ability to handle themselves when we say "no" or punish them for their behavior. They are also learning the concept of barginning and rewards earned. Colton finally gets that having to study some everyday earns him great report cards and assignment grades. My fridge is covered with good marks. Aizley knows that she may not get what she wants but that she always has more than she needs. Giving her a little money to let her pick out her own shoes and clothes has helped tremendously with this. She knows that looking will get her more in the end, like the pair of sparkly pair of yellow flip-flops she found on the sale rack for $1! Their constant improvements in everything astound me. I love seeing them exceed the goals they set for themselves. Like doing so well in school they tested out of any summer school. I never thought, reflecting back on this date one year ago, that the kids would be where they are today. I can't imagine our lives any other way!
We love you both very much!
8 comments:
Great post!!! Happy Gotcha Day! The kids look great and so happy!!!!
What a PERFECT family you have!!! Your kids are adorable, and I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the fam pic at the end of this post!!!
I read your comment on my latest post. :) Or should it be :( ?
I'll let you know if I find a "cure". So far, no luck. But there's got to be something, right? :)
Can you even believe it's been a year? ONLY a year??? I feel like I've aged a whole lot more than that. HA HA HA.
We're going out tomorrow, to celebrate our princes' FIRST B-Day. It'll be fun.
Congratulations! Wow, one year! The memories of the hard times in Ukraine are fading and the joy of your reality now remains. SO glad to be on this journey with you!
Congrats on Gotcha Day! I asked Y if he wanted to celebrate Adoption Day, Gotcha Day or Home day, and he didn't want to celebrate any of them. Even he was surprised a year had passed. We'll try again next year.
Natalie
adoptyaroslav.blogspot.com
TX
PS - Y loves "hot chicken," too.
You are a wonderful Mom and your kids are doing great! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful update!
*I* can't believe it's been a year...so I can imagine how you must feel.
This is a beautiful post. (It's worth the after image. ;> )
I'm so glad they are adjusting so well. I have some questions about their first year - if you don't mind, please email me at bergpta@yahoo.com
We are working through some things with Dylan and some behaviors. He has been home 4 1/2 months now.
Deb
Happy Gotcha Day! I loved hearing about your big day. Isn't it fun to think back and remember how your children were before you left the orphanage. It still amazes me how quickly they adapt and change!
Post a Comment