Monday, August 30, 2010

Routine...

Well, it's week 5 of school and things are in a routine. All has been pretty quiet in Turner Town. Mostly, we study, work on homework and study some more. The kids are doing well in school. This year, they are taking regular courses with exceptions made for their spelling and gramatical errors. I was pretty fearful myself. As usual, the kids have proven that they can do the work with a little extra attention and focus put into some subjects. One assignment Aizley was very proud of was an assignment the 4th graders had to do on their names. Where their names came from, origin and meaning of their names along with contemplating a new name if they were able to choose one for themselves. She loved writing her Ukrainian name in cryllic, telling the story of how she actually did pick out her name when she was adopted and that her name now means "bright meadow". Of course everyone paid close attention to her when she spoke her Ukrainian name with an accent. She was able to teach them to say a few words in Ukrainian which just brightened her day!!!

We have also had some issues with adjusting to the new surroundings of school and a new schedule change. Nothing so severe and no behavioral issues while in school like last year. I reflect back on how the kids verbally and physically acted out last year when they were overwhelmed and how they are learning to control their emotions in a more productive, "grown up" way. I've even had a kid put themselves to bed early because they said they needed some extra sleep because they were cranky!

Overall, the kids are holding their own while facing these changes. Soccer is starting and the kids are beginning to understand their assignments better so hopefully we can begin enjoying more activities away from home.

With that said, I'll leave you with a few pictures of the past couple of weeks...

Here Colton is one morning before school. He loves this shirt! What a country cutie!

Here are the kids climbing a tree at their "granny's" house. This was actually a christmas tree they used in their living room 2 years in a row. That was several years ago when their Dedushka was very young but they thought it was a cool story! I have a feeling they may be asking for a real tree this year!


Below is cheesy Aizley posing with an icecream sundae cone.

Colton loves playing with the dogs. He said Daisy looks like an "Old Lady". I'm sure she appreciated that.


Hope everyone has a great Labor Day weekend! We will be attending a birthday party for Granny Jo. She is turning 90!!

4 comments:

Kevin and Pam said...

I can't believe how much your kids are growing! They sure look like happy Americans. :)

Natasha said...

Awesome!!! I'm jealous - our school is starting on Wednesday, and we'll have to be quick about getting into the new routine! We started getting them to bed a little earlier mid-last week, just to get it jump-started.
Looks like your little hams are doing so wonderfully well. I'm so, so happy they have you!!!

Stefanie and Bill said...

They are so stinkin cute! And happy! We don't start school until next week and I CAN'T WAIT! I would vote for year round school if I had the choice! Glad to hear they are doing so well in school also! Stefanie

junglemama said...

What a neat story about the name meaning at school. Love your updates Cornethia.