Monday, September 27, 2010

In Fulll Swing...

Well, as I've mentioned, we are grooving right along. School has taken over most aspects of our evenings, leaving very little time to do much of anything else. We have been quite taken over by the amounts of homework, etc. both of the kids have had. As many of you know (those parents trying to play "catch up" with their kids especially), if an assingment typically takes an hour for most students it may take us 2. The kids really leave us in wonder at all their many acomplishments they have achieved in the almost 17 months they have been home. Both kids have a basic understanding and are able to gather from stories and such the meaning of what they are reading. Colton was tested at the beginning of this school year for his reading and comprehension. It was reported back that he is right between a 2nd and 3rd grade in reading and right on target for his comprehension. Aizley received her TCAP scores (state wide tests) from last year finally. She was exempt from the English part (of course) but she was at a basic level in almost all other subjects!!! She is lacking in TN history, but hey! I'm blown away at her acheivements and at just a year being with us at the time of the test. I believe a lot of the credit can be given to her ESL teacher Mrs. Roysdon. She is a great hands-on teacher that demands the kids in her classes get what they need to achieve. She has really been a life saver for us over the past 3 weeks. Mrs. Roysdon has arranged for both Aizley and Colton (since they are now in the same school) to come to her office during the last hour of school where she is able to help them begin their homework. The kids just fly through their assignments (why can't they do that at home ;) for Mrs. Roysdon cutting back on our at home work. Thank you Mrs. Roysdon!

As I've said, we haven't been to active over the past couple of weeks, but I'll try filling you in. The kids went on their first camp out about 3 weeks ago. What started as a father-daughter campout with some friends and their dads ended up with all the kids camping out and a night of complete alone time for moma!! It was totally refreshing although I stayed up worrying that my little dude was scared to death as he has a "little" fear of the dark. I did sneak his bear and a flash light into his bag before he left. My little trooper made it through the night no problems. Both the kids were a little disapointed as I don't think they fully understood the concept of camping and the lack of ammenities they would be without (i.e. lack of bathroom). They did have fun though roasting marshmellows and weiners over the fire and playing hide and go seek in the dark. I sent the camera with papa but only got a few pics as it's a little embarrasing to be the only dad with the camera. Despite his objections, papa captured a few moments around the fire.
Playing "Red Belly" (don't ask me?!)



On Labor Day, we headed to Nana's house for a BBQ and some four-wheelin'.

Aizley can now ride the big four wheeler as she has taken another growth spurt. She is now a total size 12 (doubled in size from a year ago) and wearing a 7 in women's shoes!! We had to make an imprompto shopping trip to find some clothes that actually fit for school. I told her I was going to make her sleep in a drawer if she didn't quit growing!


Soccer season also started up. Papa is helping coach the Dragons through their last couple of wins. So far, we are 3 and 0 for the season. Here are some action shots from the past games.
Team Picture Day...






We have also began our Christmas shopping. Well, I'm half way there myself. I've heard even Santa has a good jump start on the season. This year, we decided to let the kids work (doing their chores without being reminded 5 x's, getting homework done, etc.) to earn money so they can buy their own gifts for the family. Hopefully this will help with learning how to budget and to be less selfish or at least that's the idea. Each of the kids also picked out a child to sponsor for the season. Colton picked out a boy (age 17) who live in Haiti through our church and Aizley has a girl (ages 10-14) who lives in Ukraine she is buying for.

This week is the end of our 9 week session at school. We have two weeks of Fall Break ahead! Ah, two weeks of no homework as the kids say. We are continuing to hold true to our school schedule as best as possible. The Monday after break is always a difficult one. Both kids are trying to complete a book in those two weeks. Aizley and I are reading "The Witches" by Roald Dahl (the James and the Giant Peach author) and Colton is still debating. Any good suggestions?

3 comments:

excitedtobeafamily said...

Tell Colton to read The Trumpet of the Swan. He will love it! The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is another fantastic book.

Kelly said...

Good to hear your update. These are busy times. It's good to see the kids happy and active. Isn't it amazing how well they're doing in school? And to think they didn't even speak Englsih 17 months ago! They really have come a long way and done way better than we adults ever could! Blessings to you!

Carey and Norman said...

Sounds busy at your house. I'm glad all is going well in school and that the kids are doing so well only 17 months home.

I am in awe at how big Aizley has gotten! I can imagine that she is running the clothing bills :o) We've seen some growth too, but none that extreme!