Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Viral Valentines....

With all the snow, lack of school and extra hours at work, there hasn't been to many stimulating encounters for us as of late. The kids have been staying with Nana it seems for the past 2 weeks (much to the delight of a very proud Nana!) Quite frankly, there just hasn't been much in the way of post-worthy happenings. Don't get me wrong, "quiet time" is a good thing and as school get back into full swing and soccer begins again I'm sure I will treasure the occasional week or two of "nothing".

All hasn't been completely quiet. My dad (Dedushka) had a birthday pass 2 weeks back. As per his favorite cake, we made German Chocolate. How do you make a cute birthday cake out of German Chocolate cake? By adding umbrellas, of course!


What a crazy dude! The kids LOVE the wild stories Dedushka tells. Their current favorite is a story of how the Easter Bunny visited his house last year looking for them and jumped completely over his house. Dedushka discovered that the Easter Bunny isn't a bunny at all, but instead a kangaroo!! The kids laugh as Dedushka acts out the "Easter Kangaroo" hopping around the yard. Colton replies, "really? He jumped over your house?!" Dedushka said, "no, I'm just pulling your leg!" Colton says, "you're not pulling MY leg!" I guess you really had to be there as the conversation ensued.


What's all this you might ask?

No, I'm not starting my own pharmacy. This is what you get when you have a house full, yes that's right, a house full of sick people. The Turner Trio was down for the weekend.

Colton had been having such a horrible cough, uncontrolable actually. We thought he might have bronchitis. He couldn't take the test at the doctor's office he was coughing so hard. Turns out, he had bronchitis, a touch of a deep chest cold and tested positive for the flu. Poor dude had been held up in his room since last Wednesday.

Colton feeling better in the "get well" socks Nana brought him. Notice how red his little cheecks are?

Aizley is competing for the world record of strep throat cases held within a year's time. She was down with her 3rd, her THIRD case of strep since July. She hasn't really cleared up since her last bout in December. Her doctor wants her to be clear of any sinus infections, etc. before the surgery to remove her tonsils. Hopefully, she can clear up after this infestation is over and we can get those tonsils out during spring break.

And finally, Bob has been down and out since Saturday. There is a stomach bug going around and he picked it up. Luckily, I managed to avoid any germs (so far). I've slept on the couch the past 6 nights within hearing distance of all 3 of my sicklings. I'm glad to report that last night, we all got some much needed sleep. Praying for a successful transition back into school and work routines this week as everyone has been cleared to return to school/work on Wednesday.

Although our original plans of going out to a nice restaurant for Valentines was foiled, I managed to sneek in some gifts for each of my isolated ones.


Here is Colton looking over the puzzle card I found for him.

Aizley figuring out the answers to her card.

Aside from all the sickness that's been going around, I also received an award on this blog from an awesome lady. Mrs. Debbie, whom I spoke with while in Ukraine although we couldn't get together, is such a strong person and excelent mother and has graceously assigned me with the STYLE award.



Now, rules are:

1) Thank, and link back to the person who awarded it.
2) Share 7 things about themselves.
3) Award 10 great bloggers.
4) Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award.

So, thank you very much Mrs. Debbie!!

Now, I am to share 7 things about myself you may or may not know. Juicy, isn't it?! Ok, here goes...
1. My first car was a red, chevy barretta. My best friend called it the "Marvin-mobile" and I kept a stuffed Marvin the Martian in the back seat.
2. When I first met Jim Bob, his cd player in his car would always flash the word "Tuner" (as in radio)when the car started. I thought for the longest that he mispelled his name (Turner) but I didn't won't to point in out to him!!
3. I always knew that I would adopt. I just had no idea it would be from Ukraine.
4. I LOVE my hot showers!! The hotter, the better. I usually reserve the time after I'm finished washing my hair, etc. to just stand under the runnig water and say my prayers.
5. I'm addicted to Coke Zero's. Can't go a day without one.
6. I love those chalky, tasteless valentine heart candies! I always buy bags of them and keep them in my desk at work to munch on throughout the day.
7. My 4 year old Civic has 76K miles on it. I travel, a lot!

Finally, I am to award 10 fellow bloggers. Ok, let's see... I award...
1. Natasha and Erik
Natasha gave us a mini tour of the Monk's cave while in Kiev. She and Erik are amazing tag team parents.
2. Pam
If for no other reason than her blog header. Love it!!
3. Kate (private blog)
She's a local girl who's found her way around the world to her cute ladybug.
5. Rita
She has two of the cutest little ones!
6. The Karlen's
Kelly is doing amazing things with her precious Daniel.
7. Josh and Marcie
They are working on their second adoption.
8. The Kayser's
Shad and Jen are the sweetest couple.
9. The Hassler's (private blog)
Local couple with the most precious little Li!
10. The Tucci's
Carrie is so gifted at taking photos.

Each receipent has been notified. Thanks for playing along.

8 comments:

The McEacherns said...

Hey, thanks for the award! I might need to decline though if the rules are the same for me. Last time I tried something similar, I actually had a request from one winner to remove the link to her blog!

K said...

Thanks! I hope the family is feeling better and that you are still healthy!

Jen

Mary said...

Yikes! Poor Colton - any one of those ailments would have knocked me down and out, but all three at once sounds terrible! Also, I have great sympathy for Aizley - I spent my childhood having strep again and again and again and again...same deal with ear infections :-( Fortunately, I outgrew both after a while. Hope they manage to get rid of it for good so she can get her tonsils out as planned.

Feel better soon!

P.S. that cake looks yummy!

Natasha said...

Awh - thank you - you are so darn sweet!!!
I have loved following Debbie's blog - we met her in Ukraine, both of us were adopting from the same region, so we met up there.
Hope you all get better soon, and hope you don't get any of it!

Stefanie and Bill said...

Sorry you guys were dealing with so much illness! It's such a drag! Glad you are all on the mend! The kids look wonderfully happy which is such a joy to see! Keep up the great work!

kate said...

HOW are you not sick?? I need to know your secret!

Thanks for likin' my STYLE. ;>

Carrie said...

Thanks Conethia. Your pictures are just as nice as mine ;). I hope everyone is feeling better soon, and I hope Mama stays healthy. I think Moms have a special gene to keep them healthy when everyone else is sick.

The Robinsons said...

Looks like you all are having a great time. Oh and on number one I found my copy to the Marvin-Mobile with the Marvin key chain the other day. Maybe this summer we can get together. Oh and on your Dad's stories, they just better make sure to not open the fridge...LOL!