Monday, March 28, 2011

Sour Spring Break...

FYI: Here is a great give-a-way Mrs. Adeye is holding on her blog. All monies are going to benefit Mr. Vanya, to help his Forever Family get him asap. With a lot of help from friends, we can surely reach that $25K need to rescue Vanya!!!

Spring break went, well, not so good. The kids just had a bad attitudes all around. It may be that there is a lot going on around us. With TCAP tests, "Metcha Day", soccer season and a birthday all going on at the end of March/beginning of April, we all have gotten a little overwhelmed. I often forget, even going on 2 years home, that our kids still get overwhelmed when they see the calendar getting full. Typically, our kids are able to make good choices and to approach situations like champs. Not so over the last 2 weeks. They even had a bad attitude with Nana. When Nana tells you the day didn't go so well, you KNOW it must be serious. We ended up changing our plans for the week. Much needed R&R time at home was required. "Apology" notes were written and delivered and for now (fingers crossed), we are "back"!

Despite the "uglies" that have been attacking rather frequently, there have been moments when I shine at the decisions my kiddos make. With spring approaching, I decided to stop in for haircuts. I had each kid in a chair on either side of the room. While assisting Colton with his hair cut (he wanted to keeps his bangs longs, what a dude), Jade, who was cutting Aizley's hair said, "Mom, is this ok?!" Aizley decided to cut off 10 inches of hair so she can give it to someone who doesn't have any hair. She obviously paid attention when I said her hair was getting long enough to give it donate it to Locks of Love. I was beaming!!! "It's your hair, Aiz. If that's what you want to do!"

What a great decision she made?! Doesn't she look so much older?! "I love my hair, moma!" Maybe they are learning something from us after all!

Things haven't been all bad. Despite having no T.V. for the past week, we were able to celebrate our 2nd anniversary of our "Metcha Day" on Friday, the 25th. It seems like forever ago we were sitting in that green office at the Gnizdechko Orphanage in Ivankiv, Ukraine when our girl walks in with giant white bows on either side of her head, smiling ear to ear. I remember peeking around Bob so that I could get a good look at her as she was hidden by those big bows. Out of the corner of my eye, in walks our tiny Yura who says, "Hi, I'm Yura!" What a world away that was?!

Popa and I decided the kids had done pretty well and so I loaded up the kids and cousin Treyton and headed to the Adventure Science Center in Nashville.

I was a huge building with many things to do. Perfect for a slightly rainy Saturday as many other moms had the same idea. Yikes, there were people EVERYWHERE!! We were able to play with a couple of the exhibits and to partially tackle the indoor playground before one particular Mom had had her feel of running unsuccessfully behind 3 kids who were running behind 100's more.


Checking out the Static Ball.

This was one of my favorites. The object is to use your shadow to create waves on the wall. It was pretty neat.

We caught a show put on by NPT (local public television show) doing experiments on strength. Treyton was picked to be one of the volunteers for the experiment. He wouldn't turn around for anything. He knew I had my camera, I guess!

Colt on the 3-story inside slide

Treyton playing the balanced diet "whack a mole"

Colton working on his pressure rocket

The kids working with the parachute drop

Checking out the planetarium, learning about Saturn.

Aizley crawling through the lower intestine (of the digestion playground. I think it was more of a joke for the parents!!)


The kids were able to control themselves in a much better manner and provided for a great day. Now that school is back in session, we are studying full force for the TCAP's. Praying for a better week ahead with our first soccer game of the season this weekend! Hoping for another great season for the Dragons!!

2 comments:

Kevin and Pam said...

Gotta love the attitudes. :( We have been suferring with lying lately. So frustrating sometimes because I would have hoped we would have gotten it by now. Kids are a lot of hard work, don't ya think?!

Natasha said...

I LOVE Aizley's hair!!! I love the fact that she was so thoughtful of the kids that are in need. My girls have been talking about it, but once I told them how short their hair would be, I got an automatic "NO WAY". Now neither of them are ready just yet for such a dramatic change...I hope they will be at some time...
Keep up the great work. It's frustrating when they get "attitudie" but we have to be strong and keep at it. You're doing such an amazing job with them!
Love~
Natasha