Sunday, March 25th, was our "Metcha Day". 3 years!! Really, 3 years ago we first met these two in the directors office at the Ivankiv Orphanage. Such shy, hesitant children, at first. Looking back three years now, I stand amazed at the changes I see in both kids.
Three years ago, I had hopes that this little guy would be vibrant and expressive. I prayed that he would "fit in" with the kids in our area and that he would make friends easily.
I knew Miss Elena had some spark to her. The day we met, she was so confident in showing us all that she knew once we made it to the "red room". She tried impressing us with her ability to say "red" and "blue" in English and by how tall she was. I did not worry that she would have a hard time fitting in.
At 11, Aizley is now right on target as far as her academics go. She still displays some tendencies for things slightly "underage" for her, but who's to say you shouldn't enjoy a little swing set time at the park every once in a while?!
Colton, nearing his 10th Birthday, has bypassed all the hopes and dreams I prayed for him. He is the class clown! He has tons of friends and has learned to display his emotions far beyond his 9 years. I believe his physical appearance has changed the most. The "peach" cheeks he had in Ukraine are still there, but man....what a cutie! Of course, I am somewhat biased.
The kids have an amazing relationship with one another. Far better acting than my sisters and I while growing up. They do scwabble and purposefully pick on each other. Honestly, they ARE brother and sister! But they constantly think of each other. If one buys gum at the checkout, they either ask if they can get something for the other one or they will share without being asked. I continue to pray that this characteristic continues throughout their life times.
Seeing the wonderful changes the kids have gone through, knowing the potential they possess, I can't wait to see what lies ahead!
Happy "Metcha Day" kids! The most memorable day! The day when those flush cheeks and that darling attitude won us over instantly. We love ya so very much and are beaming with pride!
4 comments:
Awesome :) Congrats...tomorrow marks our 3 year metcha day with Eli. Brings tears to my eyes! I remember wanting so badly to meet you in Kyiv, but it never worked out :( Love keeping up with you...and they are beautiful kids.
Congratulations! I can hardly believe it has been three years! That means I have read your blog for three years too :-) I wonder where those years went? Your children seem just adorable!
Beautiful Beautiful children! I am so happy for all of you! Love seeing them! Love seeing what God continues to do in them!
They are truly beautiful children. I remember like it was yesterday. Your time in Ukraine was long and hard. But I'm sure you've forgotten most of that. I'm so glad you are enjoying motherhood!
Post a Comment