Wednesday, April 22, 2009

"Gotcha Day"...



...and not a dry eye in the place. Every caretaker came in to wish Aizley and Colton a farewell. The director could hardly speak she was so overcome with emotions. She warned the kids to mind and said she will always love them! After agreeing that we would send updated pictures to her every once in a while, she blew them kisses as we drove away. Bob and I could hardly get pictures of their "farewell" for the tears in our eyes! The pictures say it better than I can. Take a look..













I can't speak highly enough about the orphanage and the staff in Ivankiv. They have helped us more than we could ever repay. If you get a chance, there is a charity building a summer camp for the kids in Ivankiv. It is funded by "Jerimiah's Hope". We actually meet some of the staff working with Jerimiah's Hope while at the orphanage. The doctor is from South Carolina so it was fun to talk with him in English.

The kids were very excited the whole night. One funny story that goes in the memory jar. We had been in the car after leaving the orphanage, driving for all of 8 minutes, passing houses and the one hotel in Ivankiv that are not familiar to the kids, when Colton turns to our translator and asks her "is this Amerika?!" We all had a great laugh at that. Oh, how innocent these kids are!

So far, everything is going well. The kids slept throughout the night after a little giggling. They are eating us out of house and apartment. They put away 2 chicken legs, a chicken breast (intended for us), some corn and 2 slices of bread a piece! I think I have two teenagers instead of two kiddos! Bath time was successful. We seem to be doing ok, so far ;)

Now, we just have to work on getting home. It is taking a while to get the kids new social here in Ivankiv. The "tax law" (I don't have any idea who this is) said it will be Thursday at least before he can prepare the new social. And now we found out that our ammended home study incorporating the new age request hasn't taken effect! They are hoping for Friday. We are going to do all we can on the Visas and we are praying to still be able to leave Ukraine next Tuesday.

At least the kids are with us...

19 comments:

Natalie said...

Wonderful news that the kids are with you! I didn't understand the tax office thing either, but I think the kids have to be de-registered from the internat or something.

Good news on the food front, it has only taken about a month, but Yarek is now eating like one teenager instead of two. Friends who didn't adopt did not believe that I spent over $1000 on food the first month home. Hopefully that's completely over with by now. ($400 was meat for the freezer, so we still have half of that.)

Your kids look absolutely precious. I love the bit about "Is this America?"

Natalie
www.adoptyaroslav.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations on your two beautiful children!!!!! This has been the best blog and I hope you keep it going for just a little while after you get home so we can see how you're doing!!!!!
Best wishes and hope you're able to get home quickly!!
Kerri

Unknown said...

praising and celebrating with all 4 of you today :) :)

Carey and Norman said...

Happy Gotcha Day! So excited that you finally have your children with you after such a long wait. I loved all the pictures. It is such a blessing that your children were in an orphanage that loves the children so much. Even though it makes it harder to leave, Colton and Aizley will only have fond memories about their friends and caregivers in Ivankiv. What a blessing!

So excited for you. Praying for your paperwork to be expedieted and completed quickly. Looking forward to your return home!

Alan said...

Your kids are beautiful! Your new family is a reality now that you have them forever. What a story you will be able to tell them some day about all you went through, and how it is so obvious that they were meant for you. I couldn't be happier for all of you.

Loved the group picture of the kids. I wish all of them could find a family.

Blessings to you!

Zack, Jenn and William said...

So wonderful that they're with you now! Praying that the appropriate numbers and documents are secured quickly, and that you'll get home very soon... as a family of four!!

Natasha said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!!
Hope everything goes faster than they think it will!

Natasha

adopting2fromUkraine said...

What a great day! You have some really good pictures to remember it by.

The eating has only begun! LOL For the first two weeks we had our daughter, she ate an unbelievable amount. AND I have two teenage boys at home! LOL

We'll pray the rest of the time goes quickly and you are on that plane Tuesday!

June

... said...

Jumping for joy in Texas! You have had along road my friends, but you have traveled it well.
Hang in there...almost home. Take the time to take the kids to see the sights of their homeland as it may be awhile before they see it again.

MoserUpdates said...

Woohoo! I'm so excited for you! Congrats Mommy and Daddy!

Christy said...

Congratulations! They are beautiful.

junglemama said...

Woo--hoo--hoo! COngrats Cornethia and Bob!

Kelly said...

CONGRATULATIONS!! Reality sets in now, right? You guys are parents - YAY!! The fun is just beginning. So many 'firsts' to enjoy. I am so happy for you guys! I know the feeling about America? Daniel kept asking - in the car, in Bilgorod, in Odessa, in Kiev, at the airport. We were so excited to get to NYC and tell him - THIS is America!! I hope your paperwork goes quickly. You are on the home stretch now!

Anonymous said...

I was following your story and I am very happy for you!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats!!!!

Natasha :)

Shawn and Megan Mitchell said...

Hey guys!! Many congrats to you all! They are beautiful children!!

The tax number is some way of organizing everyone in Ukraine and it was explained to us that Audrey either needed a new one, some indication that she was living overseas or her number was just deleted, it was kind of lost in translation and the emotion of the day, but it only takes a quick visit to the people who manage it.

Super Happy for you all!

Megan

kdliberty said...

Congratulations! Wait until they go some ordinary (to Americans) places (like Walmart or the mall). Then they will truly understand what it means to be an American. It is always cool to see new things through the eyes of a child!

Trisha, Duane, and Family said...

Oh YEAH!!!! So happy for your family to finally be united. I am still amazed at how much God's planned children look like their new Mommy and Daddy;-). They are beautiful!!! Just so cute about "America...Are we there yet"...hahaha. Katie thought our house was America for the longest time;-). Now all the "firsts" and it is so much fun. Many blessings and BIG Congrats!!! Trisha (mom2b4#10)

Kimberly said...

Congratulations! We are so excited for you guys and will pray the logistics will work out as soon as possible so you can get home! :)
Tony & Kimberly

Dave Baldacchino said...

Don't we all love happy endings? :) The days after some bad storms tend to be some of the most beautiful. We wish you luck on the next phase of this wonderful journey!