Monday, November 9, 2009

Costly Weekend...

What a weekend! We have been trying to get things together (as many of you have) concerning the holidays. We want our holidays to be very special, full of memories and good food. As like many families, the economic downturn has taken its toll on us as well. Don't get me wrong, we have enough to eat at night and for several "benefits" like DirecTv and a name brand Coke every once in a while. Although my hours have been slightly cut (which allows me to be with the kids on Fridays for things like Halloween parties at school and 1 day to actually clean the house without little ones trying to "help", you know what I mean) and Jim Bob was moved to another position at work (ie less money), we are able to do many things and still thank the Lord for all he has given us.

I have been watching store sales like a hawk, doing some ebaying, and trying to be "creative" in the gift giving department. I started preparing in early summer, as I usually do, and have a pretty good hold on the expected things. We even have been doing several free events and family time. As a creative, yet free way to pass the time, we picked up cousin Treyton and headed to the Edgar Evans State Park Saturday to enjoy the 74 degree weather! What a beautiful place!

Rolling down the big hill...


All smiles...

We really enjoyed the day and had fun late into the night when we got home. I began dinner and the kids played outside until Aizley shuts the door behind her (always good to do as we remind her constantly) except that she accidentally locked the door before she came outside. Yeap, she locked us out with the stove eyes burning bright. Luckily, Jim Bob was due to be home within 15 minutes. I know it was an accident as she was trying to hurry out the door to climb over the fence where the cows are to retrieve a ball cousin Treyton hit over the fence but it fit right in with the talks we have been having about paying attention to what we are doing as she seems to "forget" or her brain "not work" as she says. Sigh. Then Sunday the unexpected expenses comes into play. Miss Aizley just woke up on the wrong side of the bed. After church, we were going to get Mickey D's $1 menu takeout and head back to the park for pics in our "pretty" clothes. Lets just say between the church building and the drive thru there was a foot stomping in the car and a stern "NO!" Needless to say, no park and we headed home to eat leftovers instead. During the next hour while trying to determine what she did that was wrong and preparing to say she was sorry we had a window screen (thank goodness it was only the screen) knocked out (another accident, insert the eye rolling). The windows were up and she was trying to look around the yard at the dogs playing during her time out and bumped her forehead on the screen. At least she did come tell me she "broke" the window. Arrggg! Then, after she finally realized why moma was upset with her she was allowed to go play. During her excited rush to put on shoes, she threw the covers off the bed upon which lay a very heavy electronic toy. The toy flew off the bed and landed on her glasses which she had placed in the floor while trying to get her socks out of the dresser! Yikes! This, again, fit right in with the lesson of taking responsibility and paying attention to what is going on around you and how her glasses need to stay on her face. We had to talk about the costs of things, like glasses, that we need and the things, like chocolate milk (initial fuss), that are privaledges.

I hate to say it, but Aizley is as clumsy as her moma. I jokingly told her I was going to get her some "nana straps" for her glasses (nana has the headband for her glasses) at the end of the night and she laughed and volunteered to "pay for to fixed de window". Lesson learned for Aizley, I hope. Meanwhile, I went to Wally World and made some extra copies of the house key for just such another occasion. Lesson learned, moma.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wanted to let you know how I love reading your blog, and what your family grow. Your children are precious! What a weekend you had! Your sweet girl sounds alot like my daughter Anastasia :)
For the future, if your WalMart has a vision center. They will replace kids frames and lenses **free** for a year! We have used this service many, many times-unfortuanely! They carry some cute girl frames too.
All my best to your family
Kelly Selkirk
Ohio

Milena said...

How old is Aizley? 7 or 8 something? You know, I ask because what you describe could SO much be my girl..... So easily distracted and "not thinking". Sometimes I just want to bang my head against the wall. Hopefully it's the age and it will pass!


- I'm blogging for Nadya; to help her find a family -

Kevin and Pam said...

Aww yes, we have had to have glasses repaired three times already! :) Fun, Fun!

Natalie said...

Sounds like your kids are as bad as my dogs at breaking things! My son has a big problem remembering where his school pack is in the morning (Heaven forbid he'd put it in the same place every day!), or where his shoes are (to his credit, the dogs have been known to move a shoe or two around the house). Luckily we don't have to deal with the key thingy, 'cause we have four large dogs and we live kind of way out. All I have to do is make sure the wind doesn't blow the door open, or my fat cat will decide he really is an outdoor kitty after all.

Natalie
adoptyaroslav.blogspot.com

Carey and Norman said...

Sorry I'm behind on posts. I enjoyed reading about your cost saver ideas and sorry to hear about Aizley's glasses. Kids!

Sounds like you had a wonderful Halloween. Love the costumes. I just posted even though I'm a few weeks late :o)

The McEacherns said...

I haven't been by your blog in such a long time! Sorry it wasn't the best weekend ever! I also wanted to say thanks for your frequent and thoughtful comments on our blog. I appreciate them! Blessings!

K said...

wow! I can relate to that feeling of exhausting talks and lessons about the same types of things! I guess it is all part of the learning process as a new family and the expectations. Just imagine how her whole life has been before you, she never got to learn any of this, but thankfully she gets to now! :)

Stefanie and Bill said...

I am having "flash forwards" as Peter recently started wearing glasses. I know how wearing it can be to teach children about choices and making good decesions and taking care of their things! UGGH! I feel like a broken record! The children are darling and appear to be sooooo happy!
Stefanie

The McEacherns said...

Just nominated your blog for an award! Check out our blog for details!

K said...

Conethia, I nominated your blog for an award. Check out our blog! Jen